What is Health Coaching?
Health coaching is a process where Health Coaches work with people to empower them to take control over their health and wellbeing.
The coaching process may involve:
- Education – by providing background information around various health topics.
- Confidence building – by listening to what matters to someone and supporting them to address the barriers to their health control.
- Encouraging positive behaviour change – through feedback, direction and support.
Health Coaches work in partnership with people to improve their health and wellbeing by guiding individuals and supporting them to make healthier lifestyle choices.
Who Can See a Health Coach?
Health coaching is for everyone. You could be:
- Struggling with a long-term health condition
- Recently diagnosed with a health condition
- Looking for general advice around health and wellbeing
Whatever your situation, Health Coaching is available to anyone registered with a GP surgery.
How Can I Speak to a Health Coach?
Your GP may provide you with a referral for Health Coaching. If you see a Social Prescribing Link Worker, they can do this too.
You can also self-refer without seeing a GP or SPLW by emailing email@example.com.
What Happens Next?
Once you have either contacted or been referred to the Health Coaching Team, they will contact you to arrange a meeting. This will usually be via email.
During the first appointment, they will introduce themselves and use the time to find out some information about you. The focus will be on the topics that you want to discuss.
After this, you will be offered a further 5 sessions designed to support you in working towards your self-identified lifestyle goals. The 6th session will involve a progress review, at which point you will be given the opportunity to opt in to further sessions, if you feel they would be beneficial.
Despite the pandemic, this service is fully accessible and is provided via telephone or video call, depending on your preference.
Please know that we are here for you, and everyone at the surgery wants the best for you.