From 1st September 2021 Bourn Surgery, like all GP surgeries, will legally have to allow sharing of patient identifiable data with NHS digital for health and social care planning and research purposes. We are NOT allowed to refuse to share the information.
NHS digital will also collect information from other healthcare providers, and will be able to publish and share this data. NHS digital hope to use this data to help NHS planning of local services and to share with research organisations.
You can find out more about how and why NHS digital want to use your data here: https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/data-collections-and-data-sets/data-collections/general-practice-data-for-planning-and-research#additional-information-for-gp-practices
As a patient you can decide whether or not you with your data to be shared, you can tell us not to share your data with NHS digital. It is important for you to understand there are TWO different opt out options:
OPTION 1 – known as a Type 1 opt out :
- This is to opt out of GP data sharing with GPDPR
- Your information will not be shared from our clinical system
- If you opt out before the end of August 2021, NHS digital will not extract any of your data
- You can opt out at a later stage, and no further data extractions will then take place
- You can opt in again at any stage
You can use this form to indicate your type 1 opt out:
You can email or write to us at email@example.com clearly stating you wish to record a type 1 opt out.
OPTION 2 – known as National Data Opt Out
- This does not stop sharing from GP records to NHS digital
- This controls what NHS digital is allowed to do with your data, you are opting out of NHS digital sharing your health data (this includes any health data from other providers as well)
There are several ways to compete the National Data Opt Out:
- Via the NHS App
- By Calling 0300 303 5678
- Online at: https://www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters/manage-your-choice/